1.20.2009

Locked out.

And there's more. I knew there would be. I went to Deep Gap tonight. It's about a 15-20 minute drive in rush hour traffic and in snow. Which was what was going on when I drove out there at 5:30. I went to hang out with some people from Mount Vernon and cook dinner while the boys cut wood for people who need it. I look down at my phone at about 6:15 and I have a voicemail. I go in the other room to check it and it's my roommate. "Hey Melissa, it's M. I seem to have lost my keys and I am locked out of the apartment. If you could come let me in that would be great. And by the way, it's 9 degrees outside". Really? It's 9 degrees outside? No one told me! 
Well I didn't go right away. Because we were going to eat dinner in about 15 minutes and it also wasn't my fault that she lost her keys. She could either find a friend in the complex or walk back to campus. (It's about a 10 minute walk to campus from our apartment.) 
I ended up leaving the warehouse where we were at about 7:30. I called her and her phone went straight to voicemail. I left her a message saying that I had been in Deep Gap and had no service. Which wasn't an entire lie. Service is spotty out there. I tried again when I got back to the apartment 10 minutes later. Straight to voicemail again. I am on the phone with my dad at about 8 o'clock when my call waiting beeps and it's her. Her phone was dying so she turned it off and was going to turn it on every hour on the hour until I called. Ohhhkayyy. So she tells me that she's back on campus in the library and then asks me if I can come get her. Mentioning that it's like -3 degrees now. I agree, knowing that if I don't, I will be viewed as a horrible bitch. I drive to campus in the snow and pick her up and drive back. When I get back, I check the weather. It says 15 degrees, but that it "feels like" -3. Okay. This morning when I went to my 8 am class it was 12 degrees and "felt like" -4. And I survived. I walked. I had no other option, and even if I had, I probably would have just walked. 
So on the drive back she mentions that she's sure she had her keys when she left because she locked the door. Uh, no she didn't. When I left the apartment after she did the door was unlocked and I locked it behind me. She then tells me that she checked both busses that she rode and she guesses that she will get another key made tomorrow. I don't know how she thought she was going to do that. I'm not about to let her borrow my key. (She has also lost her wallet since being here, which had her credit card, debit card, drivers license, and SOCIAL SECURITY CARD in it. She never found that.) We get back to the apartment and lo and behold! Her keys are on her bed! What a shocker! 
So now I am going to go ahead and start praying about and looking for a roommate for the fall semester. 

No comments: